With 2020 release wave 2, Business Central becomes available in four new countries or regions: Brazil, Ireland, Lithuania, and India (India is a public preview only.)
Most awaited thing for all Indian Partners, Customers & Developers… Since the Business Central launched 2.5 years ago we all are waiting in every Major release that Microsoft will launch India Localization. Now the wait comes to an end, with 2020 release wave 2 which going to released on 1st October 2020 we will have India Localization in public preview only. May be we will have General Availability in the next year 2021 release wave 1. Let’s our finger crossed until that time, but meanwhile we can create a local sandbox container and play with it.
In India, we have the latest NAV version is 2016. So how we are going to upgrade existing Indian customers?
Currently, as per Supported Upgrade Paths to Dynamics 365 Business Central Releases, we can only directly upgrade to Business Central Spring 2019 (v14) and then to Business Central 2019 Release Wave 2 (v15) or Business Central 2020 Release Wave 1 (v16). So as such not direct upgrade is available from NAV 2016 to Business Central 2020 Release Wave 2 (v17), may be later on Microsoft will come up with an intermediate version of Business Central Spring 2019 (v14) for India Localization and offer an upgrade toolkit.
Until when we have a clear path for upgrade and General Availability release available we can start exploring it and converting all our Intellectual Property into Extensions/Apps and preparing all our customer specific customizations into Per Tenant Extensions(PTE).
How to create a sandbox for India localization using docker with artifacts images? See the below script.
Install-Module -Name bccontainerhelper -Force
$artifactUrl = Get-BCArtifactUrl -storageAccount bcpublicpreview -country in -select Latest -type Sandbox
$credential = New-Object pscredential ‘admin’, (ConvertTo-SecureString -String ‘P@ssword1’ -AsPlainText -Force)
$licenseFile = “C:\my\license.flf”
-containerName BC-IN-PP `
-artifactUrl $artifactUrl `
-Credential $credential `
-auth UserPassword `
-licenseFile $licenseFile `
Output of above script:
Homepage of CRONUS IN
List of Installed Extensions
Start creating sandbox docker container and explore the functionality of Indian Localization. Remember that in preview not all functionality will work properly, so wait till general availability release…
Stay tuned for more update in India Localization and Business Central 2020 release wave 2 features…
With release of Dynamics 365 Business Central release wave 2 Public preview, so many new list of features are planned to release from October 2019 through March 2020.
Below is the list of areas for which new and planned features are:
- Application enhancements
- Application lifecycle management
- Empower ISV acceleration
- Migrations to Business Central online
- Modern clients
- Modern developer tools
- Service fundamentals
In this blog post, we will see about below listed Modern clients features in detail.
- resizing columns with fewer clicks
- saving and personalizing views
- personalizing or designing role center actions
- personalizing or designing the navigation bar
- adding links to your navigation menu
- adding notes and links
- adding and customizing roles
- the Role explorer, formerly known as the Product overview
- improved speed and agility of data entry
- improved filtering on report request pages, FilterPageBuilder and RunRequestPage
- switching between companies in your Business Inbox in Outlook
- enhancements to Excel integration
- application keyboard shortcuts
- general user experience adjustments
- more power to developers using the Designer
- the all new company badge (replacing the system indicator).
Add links to your navigation menu
Bookmark a link to any page in Business Central, and add the link to the navigation menu of your Home page.
Add notes and links to data
You can add internal notes to business data that is captured and processed in Business Central online. Notes are shown next to the card data, and you can add, edit, and delete notes. You can also insert hyperlinks to online content to card pages, opening up even more advanced scenarios.
- The tabbed Factbox area on list and card pages has now the Attachment section that includes fact boxes related to notes, links and documents attachments
- A counter shows you all notes + links + document attachments associated with the given record
- Notes are multiline and Enter is preserved
- The active keyboard shortcut, Alt+O, allows you to quickly add a new note from wherever you are on the page (even when the notes factbox is not in focus)
Easy access to a capability overview
Finding functionality becomes easier with a full overview of pages in the product based on the content of the various Role Centers. This makes it much easier for users to navigate and find the right page, and it serves as an overview of Role Centers and their content. As a supplement to using the current Role Centers navigation bar, the command bar, or Tell Me, this new capability overview brings the different areas of Business Central closer to you so that you can stay focused and productive.
Enhancements to Excel integration
When the user selects the Edit in Excel action from a list page, most filters set on the list page are applied to the list when it is exported to Excel. This also enables publishing changes back into Business Central from a filtered list of records in Excel. Additionally, the number of fields available for reading and publishing edits from Excel is expanded. This includes being able to view and edit fields that are added to pages through extensions.
Full keyboard shortcut support
Developers can add keyboard shortcuts to most actions and operations via an AL property. This means that application developers can specify keyboard shortcuts for actions in the base application and their own objects from their extensions. This complements the predefined list of keyboard shortcuts in Business Central and enables more flexible development for partners.
General user experience adjustments
Continuing our familiar look and feel across Dynamics 365 and Office 365, this update includes the addition of more fluent design elements on rows and bricks, button styling, and minor stylistic changes to captions on parts. Stylistic changes to bricks also make it easier to select an individual brick, allowing users to display related FactBoxes as well as use the Ctrl+C keyboard shortcut to copy the brick.
Role Centers no longer automatically separate root-level actions from action groups. The sequence in which they were defined in code is respected and reflected in the client for each action area.
Below you can see different images of BC15 and BC14.
Longer timeout period for the server connection
In earlier versions of Business Central online, the session timeout period is set to 20 minutes. We will increase this value to hours so that users are not asked to sign in to Business Central again and again.
Modern clients only for Business Central
Business Central continues to evolve the modern client experiences where users work with Business Central in the browser, Windows 10 desktop app, or mobile apps on Android and iOS. With this release of Business Central on-premises, the legacy Dynamics NAV Windows client is no longer available for deployment. Instead, users can switch to the modern experience in the browser, the Android/iOS mobile apps, or the Windows 10 desktop app (available through the respective stores).
Personalize actions and navigation on your Role Center
Personalizing the navigation menu includes:
- Moving menu links to another position within the same group or a different group or subgroup.
- Moving menu groups to another position.
- Hiding menu links or entire groups.
- Clearing your personalization, effectively returning the Role Center to its original navigation menu layout.
Personalizing Role Center actions includes:
- Moving actions to another position within the same or different group.
- Moving action groups to another position.
- Hiding actions or entire groups of actions.
- Clearing action personalization, effectively returning the Role Center to its original action layout.
As with all other personalization, the changes are effective immediately and roam with the user, no matter which device they sign in to.
Powerful filtering for reports
When running a report in Business Central, users are presented with a request page where they can specify various options and filters. The filter experience has been greatly improved with an experience similar to filtering lists, which includes the ability to quickly add more fields, get assistance and validation feedback when specifying filter criteria, and apply expressions and filter tokens.
Similar features to list filter pane
- Add (and remove) as many fields as you like
- Pick fields or search as you type
- Apply filter expressions from our catalogue of powerful keywords and filter criteria
- Report request pages
- Window from RunRequestPage
- Window from FilterPageBuilder
- XMLPorts request pages
Below you can see different images of BC15 and BC14.
Resize columns with fewer clicks
Adjusting the width of any column just got easier. Even though you can resize columns on any list at any time, your changes roam with you no matter which device you sign in to.
- Resize a column by simply deagging it
- Double-click to AutoFit
- No need to start Personalizing
- Applies to any type of list
- Roams with you no matter the device you sign into
Saving and personalizing list views
Users will be able to save their list filters and similar personalizations to create different ways of slicing their data. List views are given a name, such as “Items I sell”, and might include:
- Filters on totals and dimensions.
- Filter tokens (such as %MyCustomers) to dynamically filter to the right data.
- Different sorting to allow more complex and tailored views of a list.
Users can quickly switch between different views of a list, which includes their own personal views or views that come as standard in their business application, in apps, or for their role.
Similar to other personalizations, list views roam with the user no matter which device or browser they sign in to.
Switch between companies in your Business Inbox in Outlook
Use the new action in the Business Inbox in Outlook to switch the Business Central company context
Customize a user profile without writing code
Formerly known as profile configuration mode in the Dynamics NAV Windows client, the Business Central desktop experience allows lightweight UI customizations for groups of users that share the same user profile. This can be done entirely without the use of Visual Studio Code and AL. Capabilities include:
- Add, edit, or remove user profiles from within Business Central.
- Get a more detailed overview of your profiles and focus on one of them to begin customizing it.
- Leverage all the rich capabilities of the designer to make lightweight UI customization of that profile and test your customization while you design.
Customization of user profiles does not secure access to objects or data. Administrators are still required to apply the relevant user groups or permissions sets.
Filtering option fields by multiple values
Option fields are essentially enumerations with predefined values. Until now, users have been able to choose only a single value when they set a filter in option fields. With this wave, we introduce a new multi-selection control so that users can filter by multiple values. This is treated as an OR operation. For example, you can filter the Color field by red, green, or blue. Multi-selection of values is available only when filtering, not when specifying the field value on the record.
Multitasking across multiple pages
Business Central allows users to open a second page in another tab or window, allowing them to do multiple tasks at the same time while working with the same company. In the same way, users can easily work with multiple companies by having multiple windows open, and the new, colorful company badge indicator (formerly known as system indicator) helps them figure out which window represents a given company.
The company badge is a 4 characters abbreviation of the company name, and it helps users identify faster the company they are currently working in.
Speed and agility of data entry
Business Central greatly accelerates repetitive data entry in lists through a combination of productivity features, raw performance, and a responsive experience.
Stay tuned for more updated on Business Central 2019 release wave 2 Public preview…
You can create Docker images of Business Central 2019 Wave 2 preview on bcinsider and try out the features. Refer below links for how to get those images and create docker container.
More details about Business Central 2019 release wave 2 available here : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365-release-plan/2019wave2/dynamics365-business-central/
On 6th July, Microsoft announced “Microsoft Dynamics 365” and “Microsoft AppSource”. Below are the official Microsoft Links:
What Microsoft says,
Today, we are taking the first step to bring our customers new, modern, enterprise-ready intelligent business apps with the introduction of Microsoft Dynamics 365 and Microsoft AppSource.
Technology is transforming our personal lives with apps and services that are simple and intuitive, and deliver helpful assistance to improve our lives.
In contrast the apps and services we use to drive business process are often difficult to use, trial and deploy. Some even make you pay extra for capabilities like visualization, workflow automation and predictive insights.
We imagine a better world for business users everywhere. One where you can track leads, automate field service, drive sales and improve operations using modern, mobile, enterprise-ready intelligent business apps from the cloud that are as easy to use as the consumer apps that help us all get rides, book rooms, listen to music and take actions to improve our health.
Key market trends are driving changes to how companies think about business transformation and the applications that power it. These include:
- Tipping point around cloud adoption. Business are adopting cloud solutions across all aspects of their business. The perception of cloud security within enterprises is improving dramatically year-over year as cloud applications mature. 52% of organizations are confident that cloud apps are as secure as premises-based apps, up from 40% a year ago. Cloud has reached the tipping point in enterprises as the preferred method for running their businesses.
- IT budget decision-making is shifting from IT departments to LoB. In most companies, LOB executives now have the power of the purse strings over IT budgets. It’s one of the biggest shifts in enterprise application development and deployment. Gartner estimates that by 2017, 50% of all IT spending will be outside of IT and the CIO’s control. Interviews conducted by IDC found that most IoT projects are led by LoB decision makers with technical resources residing within business. To address individual LoB needs, software vendors need to provide applications that address particular LoB needs and not monolithic suites.
- With finite resources, productivity is critical for businesses to scale. 40% of worker’s productivity time is lost when switching tasks. This costs the global economy $450B per year. Companies have automated business processes. Now they are looking to embed productivity tools directly into business processes to save time and get more productivity out of their employees.
- Technology innovation is increasing the speed of business. New technology is not only enabling new business models, it’s at a much faster rate than ever before. To be successful, companies need to enable their people and processes to respond quickly to changes in the market to capture new revenue opportunities. If they aren’t agile and don’t adapt to the new speed of business, they will no longer exist. A study from the John M. Olin School of Business at Washington University estimates that 40 percent of today’s F500 companies on the S&P 500 will no longer exist in 10 years.
Microsoft Dynamics 365 – End-to-end intelligent business applications in the cloud
Available this fall, Dynamics 365 is Microsoft’s new approach to end-to-end intelligent business applications in the cloud. These business applications enable companies to:
- Start with what you need – Dynamics 365 apps are designed so they can be easily and independently deployed. That means you can start small with the right fit for your role, industry and business and pay only for what you need. Yet they work together seamlessly and fit with your existing systems, so as your business demands, you can grow into additional capabilities with ease and run your entire business in the trusted Microsoft cloud.
- Productivity where you need it – Deep integration between Dynamics 365 and Office 365 connects the structured workflow of business applications and processes with the unstructured work of collaboration and productivity. So your employees are empowered with productivity tools surfaced in the context of their business processes. For example, a sales person receives an email, and can respond directly in Office with a quote that is created based on information from both Finance and Sales apps, stored back to the right app, with right pricing, discounting etc. All without the user having to leave Outlook.
- Alternative example: A sales rep works on an opportunity in Dynamics 365 Sales with embedded access to multiple Productivity tools to more effectively progress the opportunity. The rep can collaborate with team members by sharing real-time updates in Yammer and across Groups, compiling team notes and input on the opportunity in OneNote, and seamlessly generating a quote in Word – all without leaving the context of the opportunity.
- Built-in Intelligence – With Dynamics 365, Microsoft is the only provider of business applications that infuses big data, advanced analytics and IoT into processes out-of-the-box to proactively guide employees & customers to optimal outcomes with predictive insights, prescriptive advice and actionable next steps. Data & insights transformed into action for intelligence where its needed. For example, Cortana Intelligence will enable cross-sell recommendations to help sales reps predict which products and services a customer will need. Access to IoT data inside Dynamics 365 for Field Service will enable preemptive action from field service agents by connecting asset monitoring and anomaly detection so they can take action before failures occur avoiding costly customer service issues.
- Ready for Growth – Dynamics 365 enables companies to adapt and innovate in real time with nimble, adaptable applications so you can compose, modify and extend processes. Business users are empowered to change and adapt without IT. And you can reimagine your business model with a common data model and a flexible, extensible business application platform.
Microsoft AppSource – One destination for business users to discover, trial, and acquire line-of-business apps
AppSource is the one destination for business users to discover, trial, and acquire line-of-business SaaS apps
We are also introducing Microsoft AppSource – Microsoft’s new destination for business users to easily find and evaluate line of business SaaS apps, add-ins and content packs from Microsoft and our partners, including those built on top of Dynamics 365, Office 365, Cortana Intelligence and the Azure platform.